Monday, February 09, 2009

I knew this day was coming

So I went to a Children's Pastor's Conference and attended a class on purity, which freaked me out when I realize my 9-year old boy was ready to know some stuff....(Daddy had a conversation with him awhile ago but he didn't really need to know much.)

So tonight we started a new family activity--reading our Bibles together after supper. We started in Matthew. Alex, my proficient reader, was fascinated. Every few minutes he just had to share.

So he says, "Mom, listen to this! 'So he had no se..ual relations with her until she gave birth to a son.' I didn't know that!" Calm as can be.

I gather my wits and say, "Do you know what that means?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?" Oh. My. Here it comes. Right in the middle of our first Family Bible Reading Night. Why on earth did we think it was a good idea to read our Bibles????

I calmly ask, "So, what does it mean?"

"Like they never went on dates and stuff. Of course I know what it means. I have a very good vocabulary for a 9-year old." After a few more questions confirming that in his precious, innocent mind "se..ual relations" really just means dates and stuff, I breathe a sigh of relief.

You see, at the conference they told me that we his parents must be the first to share all that information with our son. Some kids already know by his age. I ordered all the books we need, but they won't arrive for a few weeks. Maybe we have a little more time. Oh, Lord! Give us wisdom and grace to share this delicate treasure of life with him.

The most precious part comes at bedtime. Alex says he has no idea how interesting just reading his Bible would be. He wants to spend the whole day reading it tomorrow. Thank You, Lord. May his heart grow closer to You as he reads the life-giving words from his Bible. What an honor to be his mom.

No comments: