Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tagged

My sister April tagged me with this...

Here are the rules: Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your blog along with these instructions. Do not dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.

So here it is, from Philip Gulley's newest book "I Love You, Miss Huddleston", loaned to me by a friend whose brother-in-law is Gulley's agent. It's the "Uncorrected Proof."

"Everyone in town was related to us, connected by generations of liaisons, some recognized by the church, others not. Feuds from the 1920s were as fresh as yesterday.
"Your great-grandmother Gulley and your great-grandmother Mackey had a fistfight there," my great-uncle Johnny told me, some fifty years later, pointing to a spot in the street. "I was six years old, and Mrs. Gulley had a new electric washer and yelled across the street to Mrs. Mackey that she was too poor to have an electric washer. They met right there in the middle of the street, slapping and scratching and pulling hair."
Decades later, he was still embarrassed by it. "But we don't talk about it," he said.

Oh, how I pray that decades later my children won't be sharing stories of my foolishness with embarrassment! I'm supposed to tag people. Jana, Anda, Cheryl, Cherise--what are you reading these days?

No comments: