Thursday, May 10, 2007

How's Your Heart?

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life" Proverbs 4.23
I like this verse. It strikes me hard because I'm looking to find life and live life to the full. Nothing less will do. I'm not satisfied with who I am--even though I could say that I love my life and am happy.

It's just that I want more. I want a heart that is well protected and ready to give life giving water. Imagine this, you need refreshment for your life, where do you turn? Where is the source of finding life when you're warn out and overwhelmed by the crisis you face?

The heart.

It feels. It hopes. It loves. It believes. It's like it has a logic that logic can not understand.

I like the sound of a life that is there for the taking. Like cool well water that's ready to be claimed and chugged and enjoyed with a big, "Aaaaahhhhh", on a hot summer day. That sounds like something I want in my life.

I'm just not sure how to do this, really. I mean, what gets into my heart? What am I trying to fight off? Why do I need to protect my heart like one protects a bank or sacred treasure?

Off the cuff, I think I need to guard my heart against doubt. Doubt is like a poison in the well. It's like a bad voice in your head that whispers to my subconscious, "You won't succeed at this. What are you doing? Good luck with all that!"

Ok Lord, protect my heart today, ok? Would you be my patrol, my shield & my guard? By the way, would you also create in me a clean heart today. Like you've done with countless others, I stand in need of your mending grace.

Thanks Lord!

1 comment:

Joshua said...

Thank you Ben for your heart. I truly cannot express my thanksfulness to God for the powerful ways he has used you to form me into the person I am today. I also wanted to give you a heads up on my blog - jeg03a.blogspot.com

With the deepest love from my heart.